Preparing for a digital transformation calls for a comprehensive review of not only your existing data, but also the processes of creating, reviewing, updating and deleting that data. If your goal is complete optimization of data as a business asset for the most effective use of SAP S/4HANA, understanding what lives within the system is critical for sizing the overall transformation effort.
Also imperative is a data health and data governance assessment (DHA/DGA) which are key steps for companies looking to improve their data quality before moving to SAP S/4HANA. An assessment and review of your data will typically include the following:
- Data systems – How many business systems do you have and what do they contain?
- Applications – What computing systems use these data systems and what do they do with the data?
- Users – Who uses the data systems? What are their roles and for what business processes are they responsible?
- Processes – What business activities use the systems? Which data drives decisions?
- Documentation – Are data dictionaries or business process documents available?
- Quality – Are there known problems with existing data, or a need to improve quality?
- Business goals – What data or process goals must be addressed?
When a DHA is completed, we assign a 'score' to your data called your Data Quotient. This helps you recognize the current state of your data versus where you want to be as a part of your transformation. The data quality gap is
Understanding the data quality gap will help influence your roadmap before embarking on your data transformation journey.
Looking for a partner to help get you started on your data health assessment? See if your company qualifies for a complimentary mini-data health assessment from Utopia.